Exp. Dietician Tuğçe Aytulu stated that factors such as the intensity of work life and the length of time spent in traffic affect the nutritional culture and this is directly proportional to weight. Exp. Dietician Tuğçe Aytulu states that the increase in the necessity to eat out constantly due to the consumption of fast food, busy business meals and frequent travel brings along some nutritional disorders. Tuğçe Aytulu draws attention to the importance of acting during the day.
The length of time spent at the meal, the necessity to eat everything, and the inability to limit alcohol consumption brings with it nutritional disorders. Noting that factors such as the intensity of work life and the length of time spent in traffic affect the nutritional culture, American Hospital Nutrition and Diet Department Head Uzm. Dietician Tuğçe Aytulu said, “Eating out constantly due to the consumption of fast food, busy business meals and frequent travel causes malnutrition and some diseases.”
Rule of thumb: energy balance
Most of the time, people may not notice that they are gaining weight, even if they pay attention to their diet. Sometimes they think we do not eat much or they are referred to dieticians saying “I am already eating 1-2 meals a day, I should not gain weight”. Drawing attention to the fact that the balance of the energy taken and spent in this case is ignored, Tuğçe Aytulu explains which situations can lead to weight as follows:
“If you consume less energy than you eat, even if you are eating less, then you can gain weight. For example, if you work 9-10 hours on the computer and only eat during breakfast and dinner, you may be gaining weight because you eat low calories but don’t spend it. Apart from this, snacks and snacks between meals, without noticing on the computer, can also cause weight.
Tuğçe Aytulu stated that keeping a nutrition diary can be useful for weight control and said, “You can record what you eat and drink in a small notebook for at least a week. In fact, keeping a nutrition diary will also make you eat less and be a deterrent to overeating. Because what you notice when you look at what you wrote later can make you eat more carefully the next day. In addition, if you will receive consultancy from a dietician, when you take this nutrition diary to him, he will have the opportunity to monitor your nutrition in more detail.
Apart from all these problems caused by malnutrition, weight gain can be seen even if you eat less in cases caused by some diseases. For example, if your thyroid gland is not working enough, there may be weight gains. You may need to consult a doctor for this.
Stressful environment in meetings can cause snacks
Stating that snacks or sugar-containing drinks can be consumed without realizing it in environments where work is concentrated, the Head of the American Hospital Nutrition and Diet Department Uzm. Dietician Tuğçe Aytulu said, “If the meeting time is close to meal time, the meal should not be skipped. Thus, you will be full and snack less. If you are not hungry, you can avoid snacks and switch to sugar-free drinks. If you are organizing the meeting and the treats are under your control, try to have the most appropriate treats prepared; “Small grain sandwiches, dried fruits and nuts can be suitable options,” he said.
One of the most important shortcomings is “exercise”
Tuğçe Aytuku said that one of the biggest challenges of business life is not being able to spare enough time for exercise, and said that if your home is close enough to spend enough energy and you do not have a health problem, walking home after work, getting up and walking a little earlier in the morning and doing simple exercises at home may be appropriate alternatives.
The speed of eating can affect weight
It is observed that most of the people who complain of obesity eat very fast and large amounts of food during this period. Afterwards, problems such as indigestion and food coming back to the mouth may occur. When we eat very fast, we swallow big, fast bites without chewing. In this case, we will get high calories in a short time. Whereas, when we chew a lot and slow down the pace of eating, we become satiated with less food. Because after the start of chewing in the mouth, the signals that we are full to the brain begin to go away after a while. Therefore, chewing a lot and eating slowly can also be effective in maintaining weight. However, drinking 1-2 glasses of water 10-15 minutes before a meal or choosing a salad as a starter can reduce the amount of food.
Some tips for those who eat out for weight management:
- Eat a small snack, especially 2 hours before, before a meal to be eaten outside. Thus, when you sit down to eat, you can control your appetite more easily.
- Chew heavily and eat slowly.
- When eating out, choose low-fat foods. For example; If you are going to choose tomato soup or vegetable soup from the menu, choose the one without cream.
- Choose appetizers carefully. Instead of fries, choose appetizers with olive oil, vegetables and yoghurt.
- Sometimes, the side dishes as well as the food itself can be high in calories. As a side dish, ask for potato salad instead of fried potatoes, raw or boiled vegetables instead of onion rings.
- Put tomato sauces in your pasta instead of creamy sauces.
While salads may seem like low-calorie options, they can sometimes be trapped because of their dressing. For this reason, you should ask for a salad without dressing instead of a salad with sauces and add the sauce yourself. Flavors such as lemon, vinegar, pomegranate syrup, yogurt and mustard can be easily preferred as a sauce.
- Avoid fatty meat options and always ask for the portion size of the meat product you choose.
- Floury sauces such as bechamel sauce increase the calories of the food you eat. For this reason, sauced, baked, grilled fish or white meat are better choices for low calorie consumption.
- As a beverage, choose options such as ayran and soda instead of fruit juices.
- When consuming alcoholic beverages, do not allow it to be filled before you finish your glass. So you can observe how much you drink. Choose drinks with low alcohol content. Do not consume sugar-containing drinks such as cocktails.
- Choose options such as a fruit-based dessert, fruit ice cream, sorbet or pumpkin dessert over a light meal and share if possible.